Thursday 20 June 2013

Left Drowning by Jessica Park


Synopsis



What does it take to rise from life’s depths, swim against the current, and breathe?


Weighted down by the loss of her parents, Blythe McGuire struggles to keep her head above water as she trudges through her last year at Matthews College. Then a chance meeting sends Blythe crashing into something she doesn’t expect—an undeniable attraction to a dark-haired senior named Chris Shepherd, whose past may be even more complicated than her own. As their relationship deepens, Chris pulls Blythe out of the stupor she’s been in since the night a fire took half her family. She begins to heal, and even, haltingly, to love this guy who helps her find new paths to pleasure and self-discovery. But as Blythe moves into calmer waters, she realizes Chris is the one still strangled by his family’s traumatic history. As dark currents threaten to pull him under, Blythe may be the only person who can keep him from drowning.

This book is intended for mature audiences due to strong language and sexual content.




Review



They, and mostly Chris, are saving me. Or teaching me to save myself. He is my port in the storm, and that’s why I feel comfortable with what I’m going to do. Chris is going to have to be strong, but I have hope that the story I’m about to tell him will help me, free me even. He is the one person with whom I will remember what I have forgotten.
WOW. I'm blown away by the tides of emotion written in this book. This was an addicting, intense, emotional roller coaster ride of a read. I was left drowning in the intensity of this book. Oh my goodness, what a read!! A book you all need to look out for and READ when its comes out. This is Jessica Park at her very best. She outshined herself with Left Drowning!

I was put through a coaster of emotions, my heart was breaking but mending and breaking - is that even possible? Yes it is, Jessica Park gives a new meaning of breaking and mending at the same time. Sometimes someone is so broken that knows no other way because it's hard to see another way when pieces of broken you is all over the place. 

When two people deeply and intensely in love with an unshakeable connection that has Chris running away because he is scared of what will become of him. After being so broken he just doesn't believe he is right for her. 

Chris saved Blythe from drowning, from being that broken Blythe and brought her back to life but now she needs to save him. Will he allow her, give her a chance to save him from being left drowning? 

This story is so heartbreaking but at the same time so satisfying. How satisfying? Having Sabin in the story made every hurt, every oh shit moment worth it. His humor, his view of life and his behaviour makes up for the angst filled moments. Obviously Chris too but he keeps breaking my heart. That jerk!! No its not like you are thinking, he just has a traumatic past to tell and he can be an idiot at times!! But I still loved him, I just couldn't make myself hate him when he was being a dumbass and hurting everyone and more himself. And that teared me apart.  

Why can't I have a friend like Sabin, where is my Sabin???!!! *Clears throat* Back to the review...

Speaking of Sabin, *grinning* the secondary characters in Left Drowning are fantabulous. I love them all. You can connect with the Shepherd siblings and Zach, the connection I have with them is intense and deep because they are so real to me. You root for each and everyone of them. Wanting - no needing for something wonderful to happen to them. To save them all. 

I have always loved Jessica's writing style since Flat Out of Love and the stories she tells are just so amazing, I really need a new word than amazing/awesome, I always say books are amazing and than there is books like Left Drowning that need a word just for them.  Awefreakingtastic. (Get it? Awesome and Fantastic combined with freaking. LOL).

The first chapter is so addicting that you want to know what happens next and if you read it, you'll know that no matter how much you know, nothing prepares you for one hell of spectacular read. Of the heartache. Of having your heart and soul so battered that you need to remember to breathe. To push yourself from under the water and take a big deep breath to hold you over because this book will leave you drowning. 

Readers who love to see two people become such good friends and to fall in love, to see it building as you read. Than Left Drowning is perfect for you. However even those who don't, will fall deeply in love with this book and characters. Moreover this book flows so perfectly and is very well written. I was drowning into the words as I devoured it the entire book. 


5 Plus Awefreakingtasic Chris and Sabin Stars




Favourite Quotes


“Why does it still hurt so much?” he asks. “Why can’t we just move on and deal?”

There is no set pattern to grief, despite what every stupid psych text has told me. There is no time frame that dictates when and how you’ll feel and what you feel. You get to deal with hell however, and whenever, it hits you.

“You are the great love of my life that I’m never going to have.”
“You said something last night that was completely wrong. I could never touch anyone the way that I touch you. And I will never regret falling in love with you. Don’t forget that.”
“I will always be in love with you, even though you’ll never love me back. You have been my sanctuary this year. You saved me. Do you know that? You saved me. And I wish that you would let me save you.


Meet Jessica 

Jessica Park is the author of the young adult novels FLAT-OUT LOVE and RELATIVELY FAMOUS; five Gourmet Girl mysteries (written as Jessica Conant-Park); and the e-shorts FACEBOOKING RICK SPRINGFIELD and WHAT THE KID SAYS (Parts 1 & 2).

Jessica grew up in the Boston area and attended Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota. After spending four years in the frigid north, including suffering through one memorable Halloween blizzard, Jessica hightailed it back to the east coast. She now lives in (relatively balmy) New Hampshire with her husband, son, bananas dog named Fritzy, and two selfish cats. When not writing, Jessica indulges her healthy addictions to Facebook, Rick Springfield, and super-sweet coffee beverages.




No comments:

Post a Comment